Governors

Our Governors

The Governors of St David’s Catholic Primary School are a hard working group of volunteers made up from across our school community.

Governors Of St David’s Catholic Primary School

Please find below details of how our Governing body is structured, including the names and categories  for each Governor.

Mrs V Meredith – Chairperson Foundation Governor (Parish of St Benedict)

My past experiences in education have been varied and valuable. I was deputy head at Saint David’s as well as year six teacher which I loved. I have also worked in the special needs school – Ysgol Hendre in Neath. I was a senior youth leader in the Neath area. During this time I set up a club and exchange programme for disabled young people which became a huge success. I am very involved in Saint Benedict’s parish where I run the Sunday liturgy group, monthly children’s masses, First Holy Communion and Confirmation programme. My whole life has revolved around children and their well being. I feel that children are like sponges and in the right environment and with the right motivation they prosper and grow.

Mr S Smith – Vice Chairperson Foundation Governor (Parish of St Benedict)

Mr W James – Foundation Governor (Parish of Our Lady Star of the Sea)

Retired. Former teacher at Bishop Vaughan School. Father of Chris,  Angie and Beth who attended St. David’s. Swansea born and Swansea Jack.

Mrs L Griffin – Foundation Governor (Parish of St David’s)

Foundation Governor for St. David’s Parish, where I have been a parishioner since I was a child.  Regular reader and active member of Parish.  Children: Aodhan and Oisin Griffin Barr, aged 17 and 13.  Both went to St David’s and then to Bishop Vaughan School.I was an active Fosda member and ran the book stall at our bazaars with my husband, Sean, for many years. Head of Languages Faculty at Dylan Thomas Community School and also teach Spanish at Terrace Rd Primary, regular transition work.  Previously Head of Languages Department at St Joseph’s Catholic School, Port Talbot. 

Mrs K Jones – Foundation Governor (Parish of St David’s)

My sons regularly served on the Altar at St David’s and attended St. David’s school. I am the Safeguarding Representative for St . David’s  parish and active in parish life, counting, cleaning and serving teas and coffee on Sunday. I am a solicitor by training and until recently worked for a large third sector organisation providing homes, care and support. I  volunteer with a number of Charities and am a keen, continuing and still struggling Welsh Learner.

Mr D Cushion – Foundation Governor

I have been associated with St David’s school for over twenty years as a parent. Our three children, Thomas, Bethan and Steffan spent several happy years at the school before transferring to Bishop Vaughan.

I spent thirty three years working in catholic education. I started teaching in  London and was Head of History in St Thomas More school before moving back to Wales as Head of History and Head of Sixth Form at Bishop Vaughan.

I have experience as an Estyn Peer Assessor and school inspection nominee.

In 1996 I become Deputy Head and subsequently acting Headteacher at Corpus Christi High school in Cardiff.

Following retirement in 2014 I worked as a consultant in Blaenau Gwent as part of the Schools Challenge Cymru programme.

I attend St David’s Priory, serving as a Eucharistic Minister and I have recently become a Foundation Governor at Bishop Vaughan School.

Mr C Law – LA Governor

I am passionate about St David’s – our children only get one chance, so we need to ensure it is the best it can possibly be. I have over 30 years’ experience in finance and senior management in the public sector, with significant experience in policy & procedures, process improvement, staff management (including Union negotiation, interviewing, and redundancy). I am Health & Safety qualified (NEBOSH), and am particularly interested in child safeguarding and ensuring those with additional learning needs are supported appropriately. I run the website for Our Lady Star of the Sea and produce family pantomime each Christmas (currently in Hertfordshire).

Mrs M Thomas – Staff Governor

Also known as Mrs Thomas the School Secretary!  I have worked at St David’s for almost 19 years and I absolutely love my job. I have three grown up children, all who attended St David’s and two grandchildren, one of which has just started in Nursery. St David’s is a fantastic community and I feel privileged to be part of the team.

Mrs R Cronin – Parent Governor

Mrs S Dettmer – Parent Governor